Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Sickly

Sickly. The word itself doesn't seem strong, or healthy.
I hate being sick. I'm currently sitting on my couch with a sinus headache, a lovely wheezing cough, and a very stuffed nose. This is the third time I've gotten sick in two months and I hate it. I know what your thinking: nobody likes being sick. I know, nobody likes being sick, but I especially hate being sick a lot. I feel like being sick, even if it's just a small cold, is a sign of weakness.
I'm definitely not the nicest or most empathetic person. We all have those friends that just seem to be sick all the time and I can't help but see those people as weak. Technically, their immune systems are weak so it's not really that far of a stretch.
I'll be leaving for college in just a few months now, and it really worries me how much I've been sick despite getting the flu shot in November. I think that my mom is right: not getting enough sleep weakens your immune system and makes you more susceptible to even the most trivial of ailments. Going into college, I know it's going to be very important to not only get enough sleep, but also make sure I'm using hand sanitizer, not sharing drinks, and staying away from those who are already sick.
I hate being sickly, but that is exactly how I feel right now.
I urge everyone to make sure they're getting enough sleep and washing their hands etc. because it's been a very rough flu season, and I wouldn't wish whatever I've got to anyone simply because they're lacking sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Jordan,
    To be fair, this year's flu shot was kind of a failure. So your immune system isn't that bad :) But you're very right about needing sleep. I might talk about this later on my blog, because I think most of America as a whole is sleep deprived. The American culture seems to put pretty much everything above sleep (work, party, school, Netflix) even though sleeping 8 hours is the kindest thing you can do to your body. As a culture, we've become so accustomed to a state of sleep deprivation that we don't even recognize the benefits of getting good sleep anymore. Personally, I think sleep deprivation could be considered a public health risk (along with obesity), and so it would be in our best interest to start valuing rest some more. Implementing a siesta wouldn't hurt, and I would love to start school at 9, as would nearly every other high schooler I bet.

    ReplyDelete