Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Spring

Spring has a feeling. Sure, there's a day when we officially say "it's Spring," but when it's really spring, you can feel it. It feels like a chilly breeze on your bare legs, the windows down, and eating on the patio without mosquitoes eating you alive. When we think of Spring, we always think of being outside and the weather and flowers. Why is that? When I think of winter, I usually think of Christmas and my Birthday. Fall? Jeans, vests, and boots. Summer? It's just plain hot.



So why is it that Spring is a time of year so associated with nature? I don't think I'll be able to answer that in the blog post, but I am good at rambling, so maybe I'll figure it out by the end.

The holiday I associate with Spring is Easter. When I think of Easter, besides Reese's peanut butter eggs of which I consume more than a safe amount each year, I think of bunnies and flowers and baby chickens. Why? Well that's what American's have associated with Easter. Easter is a Holiday centered around Christ (in the Catholic Religion at least) and his resurrection, so why the commercialized holiday seems to hone in on baby bunnies and chickens, I'm not sure.

What other widely celebrated holiday can you think of that in so whole centered on animals? I can't think of any.

Spring is a time of rebirth for so much of our world. For students, it can be grades, and in nature, flowers, grass and foods. Spring can also be a time of the year that is overlooked as it's spent recovering from a particularly brutal winter where weather jumps from -4 to 75 in what seems like a week (in Chicago this frequently happens). 

So as we go through this wet and muggy Spring make sure you appreciate it, because before you know it, you'll be complaining about the weather once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment